- The three best benefits of biking everyday are improved cardiovascular health, increased muscle strength & flexibility, and faster weight loss.
- The average person will burn 450-750 calories per hour when cycling outdoors at an above average pace.
- Biking for at least 15-25 minutes per day can be a game changing routine and this is the minimum recommended amount to see a major change in health.
This article may contain affiliate links where we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
If you want to change your life for the better, riding a bicycle every day could be the answer you are searching for. We’ll explain the benefits.
Riding a bicycle every day provides amazing benefits, including:
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Increased muscle strength & flexibility
- Faster weight loss
- Reduced stress
- Improved mood
- Better mental health
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Less traffic congestion
- Increased energy levels
- Long-term healthcare savings
Whether you're an experienced cyclist or just starting out, incorporating daily bicycle rides into your routine can significantly impact your life. This will encourage you to hit the road or the trails and make cycling a part of your everyday lifestyle. In this article, we'll cover ten benefits of cycling every day that you may not have considered.
10 Benefits Of Riding a Bicycle Every Day
While setting a goal to cycle every day may seem daunting, taking small steps can help develop the habit of getting on the bike regularly. We recommend daily biking for a variety of reasons.
Below we have listed the ten most important benefits. Keep reading to learn more.
Improved Cardiovascular Fitness
Riding a bicycle daily is a fantastic way to improve cardiovascular health. It’s well known that bicycling can also lower cholesterol, improving overall cardiovascular health, endurance, and performance.
As an aerobic exercise, it challenges your heart, lungs, and muscles, boosting overall fitness and the health of your cardiovascular system.
It will increase your good HDL levels and lower your triglyceride levels. This makes you feel better and keeps your heart pumping healthier.
Increased Muscle Strength and Flexibility
Riding a bike daily helps build muscle strength, particularly in the lower body. Regular cycling activates your hamstrings, quadriceps, and other leg muscles, leading to increased flexibility and overall muscle tone.
Moderate aerobic exercise like biking is the perfect physical activity to impact major muscle groups. Evidence suggests moderate exercise will also fight off high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and heart disease.
Lose Weight Faster
Cycling can be a great way to lose weight as it burns calories and increases your metabolic rate. By bike riding daily, you’re engaging in a fun, low-impact exercise that can contribute to a healthier lifestyle.
Cycling is one of the best ways to lose weight and trim belly fat. Biking at a moderate speed for 60 minutes will 300 calories on average. Increasing your intensity or biking for longer will burn fat even faster.
Regular bicycle riding helps reduce stress levels by releasing endorphins, the feel-good hormones. These endorphins minimize the impact of daily stressors and allow you to relax and recharge.
A regular cycling routine and a commitment to bike everyday can make a huge impact on your life. The reduced stress will make it easier to lose body weight and body fat. It will also help improve your immune system and heart health.
Boost in Mood
Biking has been associated with improving mood, which can help you feel happier and more positive. Outdoor cycling exposes you to natural light, which is known to improve mood and combat depression.
Improved Mental Health
Cycling helps in physical fitness and boosts your mental health by enhancing focus, memory, and creative thinking. By incorporating daily cycling, you can support your overall mental well-being and live a more balanced, healthy life.
Reduced Carbon Footprint
Riding a bike daily significantly reduces your carbon footprint, as bicycles produce zero emissions. Cycling is a sustainable transportation option compared to cars, which emit nearly five metric tons of carbon dioxide a year.
Decreased Traffic Congestion
Choosing to cycle can help reduce traffic congestion in busy urban areas.
With fewer vehicles on the road, pollution levels decrease, improving air quality and minimizing noise pollution.
Bikers often enjoy faster commute times during rush hours. Regular cycling enhances physical fitness and emotional well-being. We also live the social interaction with neighbors and fellow cyclists that happen from regular biking.
Lower Transportation Costs
Biking daily can help you save on transportation expenses. Biking doesn't require fuel, costly maintenance, or insurance fees, unlike driving. You can save on public transport costs when you cycle instead.
Biking to work every day would be much cheaper than owning a car and paying for fuel, insurance, and other related expenses. This is a smart way to get around bigger cities where driving is more difficult too.
Long-term Health Care Savings
Regular cycling is not only enjoyable but also promotes a healthy lifestyle. Cycling improves balance, posture, coordination, and overall well-being, leading to fewer health issues and lower medical expenses.
Consistent cycling can also help maintain joint health, making it a sustainable exercise option for people of all ages. Getting into the habit early can have a compounding effect long-term.
How Long Should You Bicycle Ride Every Day?
When starting out with cycling, it's essential to increase your riding time gradually. For beginners, a 10 to 15-minute ride each day is a good starting point.
As you build your fitness and stamina, aim to cycle at least every two to three days for continuous improvement. We prefer to bike every day to build endurance faster, even if we must decrease our daily riding time.
This also helps build the habit faster. Research suggests that 175-250 minutes of weekly cycling can result in significant health benefits, including improved lung health.
The great thing about bike riding is it can be as high-intensity or low-intensity as you’d like. If you are sore and tired, a light ride for 15-20 minutes will still help your health and burn a few calories.
How Many Calories Can You Burn From Bicycle Riding?
Bicycle riding is a fun and efficient way to burn calories. The number of calories you can burn depends on various factors, such as your weight, speed, and the terrain you're biking on.
The average person burns between 450 to 750 calories per hour of cycling. Heavier individuals will generally burn more calories, as more energy is required to move the extra weight.
Some key points to consider:
- Slow vs. fast: Cycling faster will naturally increase the intensity of your workout, which in turn burns more calories. For instance, at an increased speed of 10 to 12 miles per hour, you can burn approximately 486 calories per hour as opposed to the 414 calories burned while riding at a slower pace.
- Indoor vs. outdoor biking: The number of calories burned will be similar whether you're biking outdoors or using a stationary bike indoors. However, outdoor biking can burn even more calories due to factors like wind resistance and changes in elevation.
- Terrain: Biking uphill or on rough terrain can increase the intensity of your workout, meaning you'll burn more calories than when cycling on flat surfaces.
Remember that these are just estimates, and the number of calories burned from bicycle riding will vary for each individual. Listening to your body and maintaining a healthy balance between exercise and calorie intake is essential.
Safety Tips and Best Practices While Bicycle Riding
Now that you understand why bicycle riding is such a great activity let’s review some tips and best practices to ensure you stay safe while doing it each day.
Regular maintenance is essential for a safe and smooth ride. Here are key points to consider:
- Check tire pressure and inflate if needed.
- Lubricate the chain regularly.
- Inspect brakes for proper function and adjust as necessary.
- Ensure that lights and reflectors are functioning and properly mounted.
Staying safe in traffic is crucial for daily rides. Keep these tips in mind:
- Always follow traffic rules and obey street signs.
- Signal your intentions to drivers and pedestrians.
- Stay visible by wearing bright clothing and using lights during low-light conditions.
- Keep a safe distance from parked cars to avoid opening doors.
Riding in Different Weather Conditions
Being prepared for various weather conditions is crucial:
- Wear appropriate attire, such as waterproof jackets and pants, in wet conditions.
- Ensure your tires have a suitable grip for slippery surfaces.
- During hot weather, bring drinking water and wear sun protection.
- Stay cautious, as road conditions can change rapidly in different weather.